THE NATURE OF OUR OBJECT:
It is important to note that since our object of Praise and Worship (P&W) is The Almighty God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, whose present with us by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, we cannot understand and carry out true Acts of P & W without first understanding the – mind – and – purpose – of God for our lives. There must be a conscious and deliberate effort to know Him and walk in His ways. This means that one will totally surrender to the control of the Holy Spirit of God (See 1 John 5:19 & Col. 1:9)
1 Chronicles 15:14-16:
The Levites sanctified themselves, bore the Ark on their shoulders and were appointed to sing and play instruments.
When we focus on the Nature and characteristics of our object of worship we eventually begin to become like Him and thereby manifest same in our lives in form of Praise and Worship as an offering back to Him.
UNDERSTANDING GOD 1 John 5:19
20 “We also know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding so that we may know the true God. We are in union with the one who is true, his son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life”.
Christ Is Above All
9 “For this reason, since the day we heard about this, we haven’t stopped praying for you and asking that may be filled with the full knowledge of God’s will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding. 10 Then you will live in a manner worthy of the Lord and be fully pleasing to him as you bear fruit in every good work and grow in the full knowledge of God.
The following are some characteristics of anyone that knows and reverence God:
- Genuine Salvation
- Spirit-led Life (Life by the Spirit)
- Humility and Brokenness
- Sanctified Life
- Loving/Selfless Service
- Person of Faith
- Genuine Salvation – Those that try to know and follow the ways of God must certainly be Born Again.
Galatians 4:5 – 8 But in the past, when you didn’t know God, you were slaves to things that are not really gods at all., 9 But now that you know God, or rather have been known by God, how can you turn back again to those powerless and bankrupt basic principles? Why do you want to become slaves all over again?
- Life by the Spirit – They live a life that is led of the Spirit of God manifesting fruits that are of the Spirit because they are filled with the Spirit.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness., 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against such things. 24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified in their flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also be guided by the Spirit. 26 Let us stop being arrogant, provoking one another, and envying one another.
The Worshipper who functions by the Spirit of God will invariably be humble and totally broken in the spirit as an offering of Praise and Worship unto his Object.
- James 4:6 – But He gives more grace. Therefore He says, God resists the proud, but He gives grace to the humble.
- Proverbs 16:19 – Better it is to be of a humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with proud.
- Proverbs 29:23 – A man’s pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in the spirit.
- Holiness: One striking nature of God is His Deity.
“Walk before me and be ye holy” Says the Lord Gen. 17:1
Leviticus 11:44-45 “…..and ye shall be holy, for I am Holy.”
Read 1 Pet. 1:13-16.
1 Chronicles 15:12 – “…..You are the heads of the Fathers of the Levites, Sanctify yourselves.”
2 Chronicles 29:5 – “And said unto them, Hear me, ye Levites, sanctify now yourselves, and sanctify the house of the LORD God of your fathers, and carry forth the filthiness out of holy place.
1 Corinthians 3:13-16 You know that you are God’s sanctuary and that God’s Spirit lives in you, don’t you? 17 If anyone destroys God’s sanctuary, God will destroy him, for God’s sanctuary is holy. And you are that sanctuary!
- Loving/Selfless Service: True love is selfless. Because God loves, he gave. How do you express your love? Read 1 John 4:7-13. If we love God we will not be occupied with self at the expense of our service to God. Those who do not know God cannot and will not attribute any of their gifts or skill to themselves.
NIV Prov. 18:1 – An unfriendly man pursues selfish ends, he defies all sound judgment.
NIV Prov. 2:3 – Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vein conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
UNDERSTANDING THE ACTS
1 Chronicles 16:4-22: (Psalm 105)
King David handed over the first instruction & guidance on P&W.
The following ACTS are evident in the text:
- Giving Thanks
- Calling on the Names of God
- Singing to God as distinct from singing to others/ourselves – New Song Ps. 149:16
- Sing God’s Praise and not of man
- Announcing or Proclaiming His Deeds
- Glory in His Name –with a rejoicing (Ps. 149:2 with Dancing,, Music, Instruments).
- Remaining faithful looking up to God’s strength still seeking His face.
Note the following EXPRESSIONS OR FORMS of P&W:
(Myles Munroe- The Purpose and Power of P&W
- Lifting up of Hands
- Speaking and singing in tongues
- Playing of Music Instruments
CONCLUSION OF THE MATTER
In order to understand the P&W, you must have spiritual relationship with the Object of your praise in order to know what he desires from you and live a life that enable Him to accept you first then your praise. Then whatever form you apply to praise and worship Him will certainly convey your heartfelt desire to Him as Praise or Worship. The Spirit and the motive behind what you do in Praise & Worship will determine the reaction of the recipient. God is looking for True Worshipers and Spirit filled worshipers.